A/B testing (split testing or bucket testing) helps users evaluate their decision’s success without losing out on potential customers. It is the process of comparing two different versions of a webpage (or any other content like an app) against each other to determine which one performs better. It allows you to normalise the two options on the basis of pre-decided goals. Adopting this technique is a great way to do website optimisation.
Split testing enables website owners like yourselves to make informed decisions about the changes on your website. You can do so by comparing the impact these changes have on your metrics with half of your traffic driven to the original version (control) and the other half to the modified version (variation). You can subsequently determine whether the change was positive, negative or redundant on visitor behaviour. The interaction or engagement of each visitor on your webpage is recorded on an analytics dashboard through a statistical engine.
BENEFITS OF SPLIT TESTING
· Improves marketing campaign
· Better segmentation
· Better targeting
· Make data informed decisions without any ambiguity
· Analyse user-behaviour and construct hypothesis
· Improve user experience and increase user engagement with valuable customer insights
· Increase sales and conversion rates
Here are some split-testing tools:
1. Google Analytics: o make the most of your website, here is another great tool for free – A/B testing integrated with the Google Analytics suite. It enables you to draw data directly from Google’s extensive data pool. It only allows for pure split-testing, and the user has to decide the different variations. You can also run experiments on AdSense results. It takes care of a wide range of things:
· Split-test up to 10 full versions of a single page using Content Experiment, each delivered with a separate URL (Content Experiment however lacks a visual editor)
· Compare performance of different web pages
· Choose the objective you would like to test and get e-mail updates on the same
· Use Content API to run tests and search algorithms
· Offers multi-armed bandit testing
· Google Analytics Premium now offers BigQuery integration as well which helps with detailed data analysis within seconds. It is completely free of cost.
2. Optimizely: he Optimizely platform provides businesses the ability to conduct A/B testing, multipage and multivariate testing that may be used for making data-driven decisions. It allows you to track engagement, clicks, conversions, sign ups and more. It is extremely easy to install and the WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) interface is highly intuitive. Use Optimizely to increase your website’s user engagement and revenue. It is however not a great option for complete starters. It’s standout features are:
· User-friendly interface
· Effective A/B, multivariate, and mobile-focused testing options
· Solid basic offering with quality advanced features at higher price point
· On the flip side though, it lacks outside data integration, any alternative testing algorithm like bandit or adaptive testing and multivariate testing requires a Gold membership costing $359/month.
· Optimizely offers a Starter plan which is free of cost and an Enterprise plan which is negotiable. The Starter plan is a catchall package for starters. It however lacks tools for marketing and detailed data analysis or feedback like custom reports, Ad campaign, customer visit segmentation etc.
3. ABTasty: ABTasty is a SaaS solution that helps data-driven marketers with split testing, personalisation and re-engagement. AB Tasty offers a full range of solutions to boost your conversion rates and modify pages using a visual editor. View which version of your page performs better through page views, registrations, purchases and more. Also gather valuable insights from customers to create segmented marketing campaigns.
You can subscribe to any of its four plans-starter ($249/month), plus ($399/month) and enterprise (on quotation) and pay as you go. The starter plan offers features like:
· Unlimited number of tests
· Standard test targeting
· Control personalisation campaigns
· 1 user account
· Others come with added features like email support, advanced reporting, heat maps and so forth. Each plan comes with a free trial
4. Visual Website Optimizer: VWO is a tool that provides you with A/B testing, multivariate testing, Split URL Testing and iOS Apps Optimization. It allows you to create multiple variations of a website in minutes, track revenue, signups, clicks or any other conversion goal and know the statistical validity of the result. It offers standard plans with a full feature set and many idea-generation tools for entrepreneurs unsure about A/B testing.
It offers a 30 day free trial post sign-up after which you could subscribe to the Standard plans or the Enterprise plans. The Standard plans contain the startup plan ($49/month) and the business plan ($129/month). They are more suitable for individuals, bloggers or small business owners. Some of the features of the Standard plans are:
· A/B testing and split URL testing
· Revenue analysis
· Multivariate testing
· Visual editor
· Up to 5 users
The Enterprise Plans (start from $999/month) come with geo-targeting, advanced targeting, on-site hosting options and much more.